Resveratrol, considered by some Harvard-bred researchers as a “miracle ingredient,” is naturally found in the skin and seeds of grapes. While this compound is currently enjoyed straight from the grapevine or from tasty red wine, a natural supplement like Dr. Mercola’s Purple Defense now offers in a natural whole food supplement.*
Natural health expert Dr. Joseph Mercola says that the biggest hurdle with resveratrol is having to consume large concentrations in order to get the benefits.
“You’d need several bottles of wine per day to get the anticipated benefit from resveratrol. Drinking large amounts of wine or other alcoholic beverages will increase your insulin levels, which will eventually have a negative impact on your health in a number of ways,” he warns.
But before the issue of resveratrol source, there’s the threat of free radicals first.
How Do You Solve a Problem Like Free Radicals?
Free radicals are a fact of life – you are exposed to them no matter how healthy your diet or lifestyle is. While they are naturally generated by your normal bodily functions like breathing and metabolism, they are also caused by certain environmental factors like pollution, radiation, smoking, and pesticide use.
Free radicals pose great consequences to your overall aging process, especially if you eat an unhealthy diet, don’t get enough sleep and exercise, or are subjected to a great deal of stress.
Antioxidants provide your body with natural protection against free radicals and help you neutralize and keep them under control. There are two antioxidant types that you need:
- Lipid soluble antioxidants – Localized to cellular membranes and lipoproteins and protect cell membranes from lipid peroxidation.* Vitamins E, A, and beta-carotene are examples of lipid-soluble antioxidants. Check out Dr. Mercola’s Astaxanthin with ALA to find out more.
- Water soluble antioxidants are present in aqueous fluids such as blood and react with oxidants in the cell cytosol (fluid portion of cytoplasm) and the blood plasma. Vitamin C, glutathione, and catechins are some examples of these.
“When taken together, the efficacy of lipid- and water-soluble antioxidants is enhanced even more*,” says Dr. Mercola.
Resveratrol to the Rescue
Resveratrol, a potent polyphenol found in grape skins and red wine,is the basis for the French Paradox theory, which observes that the French people are able to retain good cardiovascular health despite their poor diets because of their regular wine drinking. This agrees with research saying that resveratrol helps keep your cholesterol within its normal range while promoting your healthy heart.*
A water-soluble antioxidant, resveratrol is credited for a number of benefits:
- Protects your cells from free radical damage*
- Helps you keep your blood pressure within the normal range*
- Keeps your heart healthy and helps improve blood vessel elasticity*
- Boosts your protection against the spread of abnormal cell activity*
- Helps you better control the aging process*
However, experts have started objecting to the value of drinking wine because the effects of alcohol may outweigh the benefits. It appears, too, that eating grapes is not your best approach to obtaining resveratrol.
“The skin and seeds of the grapes provide you with the most potent supplies of resveratrol… not the fruit itself. The meat of the fruit contains sugary fructose, which could raise your insulin levels,” Dr. Mercola explains.
Grape seeds aren’t most people’s preference – they tend to be tough and somewhat bitter. Certain grape seed processing also removes the seeds before distributing the fruits at your local supermarket.
The Purple Defense Advantage
An alternative resveratrol source is natural whole food supplements like Purple Defense, which contains 50 milligrams of resveratrol per serving. With an overall 3,500 Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC) value per capsule, Purple Defense capsules provide a powerful natural antioxidant blend.*
Here are some reasons why Purple Defense is a top water-soluble antioxidant provider:
- Better than drinking red wine! This supplement helps you avoid sugar, overdrinking, and alcohol-related issues present in red wine.
- No bad-tasting seeds. Its pulverized seeds provide you astounding antioxidant benefits. The grape seed powder in capsule form is a convenient form, helping you avoid having to chew any tough and bad-tasting seeds.
- Higher concentration of polyphenols. Its grape seed powder delivers a potentially higher concentration than the fruit itself.*
- Year-round availability. This supplement is available long after fresh grapes have gone out of season!
- Longer shelf life. No refrigeration required, and the grape seed in this formula last a full one year from the date you receive it.
Discover the Purple Defense difference today, or see other Mercola products for your optimal health and wellness.*